News June 2018
The Music+Sound Awards 2018’s Finalists Revealed
Following close scrutiny from a distinguished international jury, The Music+Sound Awards have announced the finalists for their annual global competition.
With the support of the music and sound design industries, the programme recognises music and sound excellence within the media, serving to highlight the extraordinary talents and achievements of those involved.
There are 38 categories spanning sync, original composition, sound design, re-records and production music.
This year sees the highest number of entrants in its seven year history. Emma Maguire, Managing Director of the Awards, is excited to see the growth,
“The engagement and enthusiasm that we have seen this year sets us up for another fantastic competition. This year’s entries have been exceptional, making it a difficult task to judge. We’d like to greatly thank all the entrants and welcome the new participants to our community.”
She goes on to say,
“We congratulate all the finalists and we hope they feel proud that their work has endured such rigorous inspection from our brilliantly accomplished jury! Very best of luck to them all.”
The jury this year included leading industry figures Ian Neil, Director of Music for Film+TV at Sony Music Entertainment and PJ Bloom, Senior VP of Film + TV Music + Soundtracks at Warner Bros. Records. The full panel can be seen HERE
One of the jurors, Ilana Goldstoff, Head of Sync and Licensing at Sizzer, Amsterdam sings the Awards’ praises,
“There are a lot of Awards, but most of them focus on the film and not on music and sound. Even if there are sync or music categories, in most cases the music wins when the film is amazing. That’s different at Music+Sound Awards and that’s why I think it’s a very important competition. A lot of good work didn’t get the attention that it should get and now it does!”
Winners of 2018’s Awards will be announced on Tuesday 10th July, 4pm (GMT), via The Music+Sound Awards’ Twitter feed, @MASawards.
Here follows a selection of finalists. A full list can be viewed HERE
Best Sync in Broadcast Advertising
- Music Sales with Absolut Vodka ‘One Night’. Track: Sunny Artist: Boney M Supervisor: Julz Baldwin at The Most Radicalist Black Sheep, Publisher: Campbell Connelly & Co, Agency: BBH
- Reservoir / Reverb Music with BBC Christmas Campaign 2017 ‘The Supporting Act’. Track: Symphony, Artists: Clean Bandit feat. Zara Larsson, Supervisors: BBC, Publishers: Reservoir/Reverb Music, Universal Music Publishing, Kobalt Music Publishing + EMI Music Publishing, Label: Warner
- Warner Music UK for Canon ‘Mickey Mike’. Track: Doin’ Me, Artist: Mickey Mike, Supervisor: Chris Phelps at Finger Music, Publisher: Universal Music Publishing, Label: Warner Music UK
- Eclectic Music for GiffGaff ‘Free To Go. Free To Stay’. Track: Stay With Me Baby’, Artist: The Walker Brothers, Supervisor: Andy Rogers
- CORD for Jaguar ‘Swarm’. Track: Carrion Flowers, Artist: Chelsea Wolfe, Supervisor Dominic Goodman, Publisher: Bank Robber, Label: Mute, Agency: Spark 44
- Soundtree Music for Uber ‘Effortless Night’. Track: You’re The Boss, Artists: Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret, Supervisor: Soundtree Music, Publisher: Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Label: Sony Music, Agency: BBH London
The Hummingbird Music Award For Best Sync in a Feature Film (Single Scene)
- Baby Driver - Track: Hocus Pocus, Artist: Focus, Supervisor: Kirsten Lane, Label: Imperial Records (NL), Polydor (DE, UK), Blue Horizon (UK), Sire Records (US, CA)
- Call Me By Your Name - Track: Love My Way, Artist: The Psychedelic Furs, Supervisor: Robin Urdang, Label: Columbia
- I, Tonya - Track: Devil Woman, Artist: Cliff Richard, Supervisor: Jen Moss at Warner Music Supervision, Publishers: Warner/Chappell and Windswept Music, Label: Warner Music UK
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle - Track: Let’s Go Crazy, Artist: Prince and the Revolution, Supervisor: Ian Neil, Label: Warner Bros.
- Okja - Track: Annie’s Song, Artist: John Denver, Supervisor: Jemma Burns, Label: RCA Records
- The Killing of a Sacred Deer - Track: Chor Jesus Christus schwebt am Kreuze (Stabat Mater in F, D383) by Franz Schubert, Performed by: Michel Corboz, Supervisors: Sarah Giles + Nick Payne at Wave Music (SixtyFour Music)
Best Sync in a Television Programme (Single Scene)
- VICE+ Productions for Earthworks ‘The Amazon’. Track: Man of Oil, Artists: Animal Collective, Supervisor: Charlotte von Kotze, Publisher: Domino Publishing Company of America Inc., Label: Domino Recording Company
- VICE+ Productions for Earthworks ‘Colorado River’. Track: Coins, Artists: Local Natives, Supervisor: Charlotte von Kotze, Publisher: Big Deal Music, Label: Concord Music Group
- Sky UK for Guerrilla. Track: Indian Rope Man, Artist: Noir, Supervisor: Sarah Bridge, Publisher: Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Label: BMG Rights Management
- BT Sport for UEFA Europa League Manchester United - Long Time Coming. Supervisor: Pete Kelly, Label: More Music Records / Oddchild
- Sky UK for Save Me. Track: Doomed, Artist: Moses Sumney, Supervisor: Pete Saville, Publisher: Domino Publishing Company, Label: Secretly Canadian
- CORD for The A Word. Track: The Same Deep Water As Me, Artist: I am Kloot, Supervisor: Alison Butters, Publisher: Chrysalis, Label: BMG
Best Band + Brand
- Warner Music UK for EON x Gorillaz - A Solar Collaboration. Track: We Got The Power, Supervisor: Sophie Urquhart at Tin Drum Music, Publisher: Warner/Chappell, Label: Warner Music UK
- MOVISTAR+ for Fama / Delaporte. Track: Un Jardin, Supervisor: Omar Tenani, Publisher: Telefonica Editorial Musical, Label: Mad Moon Music
- BT Sport for UEFA Champions League - Road To Cardiff / Loyle Carner. Supervisor: Pete Kelly
- BT Sport for UEFA Europa League Manchester United - Long Time Coming / Avelino. Supervisor: Pete Kelly, Label: More Music Records / Oddchild
- Twitter #Studio for Twitter - Music is happening. #SeeEverySide / Chance The Rapper. Track: No Problem
Best Use of Production Music in Broadcast Advertising
- Upright Music for Pandora ‘DO Get What You Wish For’. Composers: Daniel Farrant + James Knight, Track: Don’t Give Up On Love, Publishers: Poke Music / Upright Music, Supervisors: Jeppe Kaltoft + Andreas Henriksen
- Extreme Music for Lada Cross. Composers: Giles Palmer + Rupert Pope, Track: Chasing Stars, Publisher: Extreme Music
- Big Sync Music for Marmite ‘Gene Project’ Composer: Edward Elgar, Track: Nimrod (Enigma Variation 9), Supervision: Big Sync Music, Agency: Adam&Eve/DDB
- Too Young Music for Paco Rabanne ‘Pure XS’. Composer: Georges Bizet, Publisher: EMI Production Music, Track: Carmen Habanera Remix, Supervisor: Frederic Schindler at Too Young Music
- Matt Nicholson / Float Music for BeoLab50 ‘Press Pause and Play’. Supervisor: Robin Housman at Hive Music
2018’s Music+Sound Awards are sponsored by Spitfire Audio, Krotos Audio and Hummingbird Music.